The Keffer Log House (2-story dwellings are called houses, not cabins!) was taken
apart log by log, moved, and rebuilt during the summer of 1999 by Roger Davis of
Montana and Robert Echols (1913-2013) of Happy Hollow. Mr. Echols lived next
door to the Keffers when he was young. The house is now on Market Street
between Food Country and our Medical Center. By the time the house was
dismantled and moved to New Castle, it had four wood frame additions attached
to it and the ceiling had been raised in part of the first floor. The house, when it
was in Happy Hollow, had a metal roof and tulip poplar lap siding. None of the
additions made the move.
The lot on which this cabin is located was
the horse corral used by folks coming to do business at the
Craig County Courthouse.The adjacent property has a
clause in its deed stating “there shall always be a path to
the creek to
water the horses.” The path and John’s Creek are several
yards behind the cabin.
The (fake) outhouse was built in the backyard in 2005 by Historical Society
members George Field and Edwin Abbot.